Sunday, August 5, 2012

Looking Back

A Summer of Biking in Wisconsin.


It's been a wonderful summer of biking in Wisconsin. I visited many area towns and villages, traveled numerous never-before-visited backroads. I broke a bike pedal, blew a tire speeding 30 mph down hill and got chased by a black bear...  I lie! Actually, it wasn't a bear that chased me but a dog. She's chased me more than once. Her name is Cocoa and she doesn't bite... according to the owner... who was standing there on the road with me... trying to control her pet... as Cocoa nipped my right leg!

The 'ride' of 2012 began three months ago in May. I didn't have a plan, just an urge (and a medical need that I will explain later) to get on my bike and exercise.  The first ride I took was from my home to the village of Lime Ridge, then around by my old grade school, and back home again. It was about a four-mile journey. When I finished, my legs were as wobbly as if they were made of rubber. I repeated that ride almost daily for the next few weeks and by the end of May I had traveled about 90 miles.  I timed myself to see if I could complete the Lime Ridge ride in under 20 minutes but I'm not sure that I ever did.

In June, the rides became longer. First it was a five-mile circuit, then eight miles to vote in Hillpoint in the June elections, then ten-miles. By July, I was visited area villages and now in the first week of August, I ride sometimes 30 to 50 miles in a day. 

My Bikes


I've riden over 800 miles since I began on May 11th, and I'm on my third or forth bicycle. They have all been used garage-sale or second hand bikes. The one I'm using now is a Specialized Crossroads that I picked up at a St. Vincent De Paul Store for $120.



The Specialized is the most expensive Bicycle I've owned. The Raleigh cost $35 and the first two I rode were purchased many years ago for $5 or $10 each. I like the Specialized Crossroads because it shifts the best of any of my bikes and the brakes are the best also.

Health


I have diabetes. A few years ago, when I first found out about my diabetes, I had to take insulin for a while, but in a year or a little longer I quit as I was able to control my blood glucose with medication and diet. In April of this year I stopped taking medication and have relied on diet, exercise, and some special teas to lower my blood glucose. The long bike rides are an important way to immediately lower blood sugar levels, but important for the long term, they are reducing my belly fat. I don't really know what I weigh because my scale tells lies but where it used to say I weighed 185 to 190 now it says I weigh 170 to 180. I'm sure my doctor's scale will add 15 to 20 lbs, but still, I must be dropping some weight.

Towns and Villages


Almost all of my rides begin and end here at home. The only exceptions were two times I drove to the 400 trail, and once, when I blew a tire, I had to call my wife to come pick me up. Here are the places I've biked to so far, all in the Sauk, Juneau, Richland County area of Wisconsin: Lime Ridge, Hillpoint, Loganville, White Mound county park, Sandusky, Bear Valley, Bunker Hill, German Town, Cazenovia, La Valle, Reedsburg, Hemlock Park, Lake Redstone, Dutch Hollow Lake, and Valton. The most I've riden in a day was 54 miles. 

I'm limited more in time for riding bike than I am in strength or endurance. I work full-time. In addition, I and my best buddy Puff, tend a large garden, keep a few sheep, 7 chickens, 8 ducks, 33 guinea chicks and I have a hobby greenhouse. The days are busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment