Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Ride

19 August 2012 - My blood sugar has been running high in the mornings lately, so I knew I had to go for a longer ride today. It was past 9:30 A.M. by the time I feed the ducks, guineas, and chickens and got dressed for the ride. The temperature was in the high sixties, so I wore light shorts and my stretchy runners shirt.

Lime Ridge is a mile and a half away and from there I turned south on highway G. I pulled over a few times along the way to 'Wards Corners' to photograph more Amish businesses. The Amish don't want to be photographed but I don't see how it could hurt to photograph their homes and businesses, so I did.

This place has piles of lumber.

We bought a double seated glider with center table from this place for Sandy's Birthday earlier this spring.
"Wards Corner's' used to be a country store, gas station, garage, and living quarters but now appears abandoned as a business or home, and not well kept.

I rode past Wards Corners and turned east at the Sandusky Church. It's about 7 miles to the Sandusky Church. I like that route as traffic is usually light if any.  After I pass the church, I head south to White Mound Lake.

I'm supposed to have some kind of pass to enter White Mound Lake Park at a cost of $20 a year or $4 a day but I haven't bought that yet. The Park is part of the Sauk County parks system and I've been a tax-paying resident of the county all my life. I feel that I've already done my part to foot the bill for White Mound park, why am I being charged a ridiculous fee for a park I've already bought and paid for? Upkeep? Sure, but collect that from non-county residents, let the people that have bought and paid for the park use it, or at least pass through the park on the road that I'm sure is still maintained with our tax dollars.

Anyway, White Mound Park is 12 miles into my morning ride and I have to use the restrooms.  I venture into the boat landing area and use the outdoor toilets that reek like most outdoor toilets do.  I'm thinking in my head what to do if the park 'Ranger'... ranger Smith or whoever, catches me. I don't have my wallet, identification, nor any money. I figure I'd lie and say my name was Chris L---. That's a guy I work with, love to pester, and always threaten to use his name if I ever do anything that I might have to answer for!

All went well and I left the park unmolested by ranger Smith.

As I peddled my way toward Hillpoint, I noticed time was slipping by quickly, and I needed to hurry to get home and ready for work. I chose the shortest route from Hillpoint to my home even though it involved some challenging hills. Along the way, I passed a dirt-bike track that is not Amish but a local business all the same. It's about 3 miles from my house and I barely hear the dirt bikes on the weekend but would hate to have something like this closer and have to listen to racing bikes every weekend during the summer.

The morning ride took about 2 hours and ended at 21 miles. My total for the year is 947 miles. I should pass 1,000 miles before next weekend, what then?

When I started, I didn't have a goal in mind other than to ride a little four-mile ride and lower my blood sugar. Now I want to see every obscure side-road and take-in all the sights, sounds, and smells that summer in Wisconsin has to offer and I'm really noticing all of those.

I'll dedicate some future postings especially to the smells and the sounds of the country. Till then, have a safe journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment