Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Thousand Miles

I achieved two milestones on the 22 of August. First, I passed a thousand miles of biking for the summer, and secondly, I rode over 60 miles in a day, 64 miles to be exact. My rides are seldom planned, so when I left on Wednesday, I had no plan of where to ride to. My blood sugar was high from the previous day's splurge on a family trip, so the one thing I did want to do was take a long ride and maybe travel the 32 miles I needed to complete one-thousand miles. As it turned out, I road twice the miles I needed to meet that milestone!

Carr Valley Cheese Factory
I started out by riding to Lime Ridge and then I peddled north on highway G passing the Carr Valley Cheese factory. I think Carr Valley makes the best cheese and the best cheese curds. My wife works there and that may skew my judgement slightly. She was on vacation this week, so I didn't stop. 

After passing the cheese factory, I rode past Easter's Bakery. This is another Amish enterprise that's open during the summer. The little building is another Amish telephone booth, I think. 

The weather on Wednesday was perfect for riding bicycle: blue sky, sunshine, but not too hot. I did wake up on Thursday with a slight sunburn, so maybe there was a little too much sun?
Amish Bakery. Sign. And phone booth
Me and my shadow...we ride solo!

Looking back on the Village of Cazenovia as I peddled up Cunningham hill. 
Be the time I rode past Easter's Bakery, I was beginning to develop a plan, a destination. Valton. I took a back road to Cazenovia and after riding through the park, I planned to head north toward the little village of Valton. I've ridden to Valton once this summer, but on Wednesday, I chose a different route. I like traveling roads that are less-traveled and many times this summer I've ridden roads that I've never traveled before though they are so close to where I live.

Amish along the highway. 
Neat store....
The back roads to Valton were beautiful, filled with hills and valleys and interesting farms. After arriving in Valton.... and since I had the day off... I decided I would continue riding north to the Village of Hillsboro. Someone had told me about a store there that sold spices in bulk, and I wanted to purchase some Turmeric. The name of the store was Whitaker's Farm Fresh Market. It turned out to be a fine health food store with bulk spices, grains, and Amish canned produce. I bought a large tub of Turmeric (.27 lbs for $2.88) but I also found Braggs Apple Cider by the gallon. The price was a full dollar cheaper than what I had been paying for it but I decided that a gallon of cider would be too heavy for the ride. I returned on Thursday and purchased the cider.
Hops... what makes beer as we know it

A difficult to find bike path
I had a burger and a couple of beers at a motel/bar called Beezer, and then I rode the bike trails from Hillsboro to Union Center, Wonewoc, LaValle, and finally Reedsburg. Along the way, I found wild Hops growing in several areas. I raise hops for homebrewing beer, so I'm familiar with when they are ready to harvest. The trail hops weren't ready for harvest yet, but in a week or two they may be? I'll be sure to return to the trails with a bag so I can collect enough for a batch of 'Bike Trail' beer!
A swamp filled with some kind of purple flowered plant.

 I passed swamps filled with beautiful purple flowers and stopped for Culver's Ice Cream In Reedsburg. The sun was setting by the time I approached Loganville and it was dark when I arrived home.

Wednesday's ride was the longest I've ridden so far. I wasn't particularly spent, although I was pleasantly tired. This spring when I started riding, I never imagined that I would go this far and I don't know how far I'll still travel before winter ends my riding adventures. I didn't ride today, but spent time instead in my little exercise room here at the house. I'm afraid I'll be banished to that when the cold arrives, so I'm experimenting now.

In all my rides, I ride solo. I've only seen one other person riding the roads and two or three people riding the trails. So much beauty... so few taking the opportunity to enjoy....


No comments:

Post a Comment