Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fall Showers

Corn fields have become brown, leaves are turning to fall colors and falling from trees, and the days have become windier. Bike rides are beautiful but sometimes excruciatingly hard. The last couple days have found me riding through some very light showers at times. The weather predictions are for snow any day now!

When I left at 9:00 am this morning, the temperature was still in the forties. Twenty six miles later, I rode into a brisk 50-some-degree wind. My inner cloths were soaked in sweat, my face felt wind-burned, and my legs, back and butt were crying out in pain. The wind-breaker jacket and Nike pants did a pretty good job of keeping my body warm... but my face. My head! Soaked in sweat and exposed to the wind; I was miserable! It was one of the first rides where I kept thinking of calling to be picked up. Instead, I kept thinking about the finish and finally it arrived.

My back has been teetering on a breakdown, and the last 10 miles I was afraid it might happen. My knees hurt and I was cold as I wobbled into the house. Slowly, I got undressed, drew a hot bath in the garden tub, and enjoyed my reward for a strenuous morning ride. I turned on the whirlpool and sunk into the luxury of the hot swirling bubbles...

Amazing things have begun to happen with my diabetes. My blood glucose was at 117 this morning when I awoke and 103 after the ride. I did the morning ride without breakfast, which is something that I need to stop doing. I did take my morning drink of 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon (heaping) Ceylon Cinnamon, and 1 heaping tablespoon of orange flavored Metamucil.

My total miles since spring is 1231 miles. I'm wondering if I'll make it to 1,500 miles much less the 2,000 miles that I had hoped for.

Last night I got the packet from a friend to join her team riding next year in an MS fund-raiser. I'm looking forward to not only a strong finish riding for fun this year but maybe a new challenge in 2013... If anyone reads this and you are from the Western Sauk County/Eastern Richland/Southern Juneau county area, and up for some challenging fun on a bike... please contact me! Also, I've meet some friends that would bike, if they had a bike... I gave away my Raleigh on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment