Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Preparing for Cold Weather Ride

Hat, helmet, mirror, windbreaker, and a red face as I come in from a 22 mile ride with temps in the 40's!
It's 2:00AM on Wednesday, September 26, 2012. I just got back from a 22 mile ride; the temperature was 41 degrees. I was very comfortable and wish I could have riden more!

I'm testing out new clothing I bought Monday as I look forward to the Tyranena October Fest bike ride October 6th. This will be my first group ride. The Tyranena bike-ride is limited to 1750 riders and when I registered it was 80% filled! I have the choice of a 20, 50, or 70 mile route. Since I just road 22 miles tonight, after work, for the heck of it...  it doesn't make sense to commit to a day's event for anything less than at least 50 miles, or, unless the wind is against me, 70. The big thing for me now is planning and preparing what to wear.

Clothing

Up until now, I've been wearing regular stuff. No spandex. No biking cloths, just regular duds.  But, as I thought about an October ride, I decided I needed to invest in cold weather, biking specific, clothing. 

Normal temperatures for October range from 40's to 60's. I bought Underarmour Compression Base-layer tights and tops, and outer Nike wind breaker jacket and pants. If the weather is anywhere near normal, I should be dressed adequately.

I'm experimenting with what regular cloths to wear in-between these two crucial layers. I think I know what bring... One thing worthy of note about the windbreaker pants is that I bought what I have used at a second hand store for $3. The other jacket and pants were $50 to $80 at Dicks sporting goods in Madison. I saved some big bucks on the windbreaker pants, but the zippers on the legs are coming undone, so I need to do some sewing there.

I was glad to go out tonight and ride in the 40 degree weather in preparation for the Tyranena ride. The moon was bright and trafic in the country was extremely light. I think I could have riden for hours...

I think I've made good choices, and I am ready to ride regardless of the weather on the 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment